Two victims of anthrax were hospitalized, another 130 people are quarantined under the supervision of doctors.
The locality where the disease originated is also monitored, the local livestock is taken under tight control.
The head of Chuvashia Nikolaev said:
We proceed from the fact that the virus is not transmitted through contacts between people. There is no threat of spread. The condition of the two identified patients does not cause concern.
Anthrax, also known as Yarkovsky’s ulcer or myiasis, is a rare infectious disease that can affect a person’s skin, mucous membranes, and subcutaneous tissue. The disease is caused by the bacterium Vibrio vulnificus, which usually lives in fresh or salt water.
The bacterium can enter the body through small cuts, wounds, or abrasions on the skin if a person comes into contact with contaminated water or fish. Symptoms include pain, swelling, pustular eruptions, and tissue necrosis (death).
Treatment for anthrax includes antibiotics and sometimes surgical removal of the affected tissue. If possible, contact with water, which can be contaminated with the Vibrio vulnificus bacterium, should be avoided, and even small cuts on the skin should be treated with antiseptics.